The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise certification program is a Federal program. The purpose is to increase the participation of certified DBEs in projects funded by the US Department of Transportation and other federal sectors. Projects typically include heavy construction, such as building and designing roads, bridges, railroad, port, and airport.
The Program is governed by the U.S. Federal Regulations in 49 CFR 26 and 23.
The Virginia Unified Certification Program includes two certifying agencies:
- The Department of Minority Business Enterprise (DMBE)
- The Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA)
There is no need to submit an application to both agencies. Federal DBE certification by either agency is fully accepted throughout Virginia.
Out-of-State firms: You are required to follow the Section A instructions to fill out a new Virginia Application and Personal Financial Statement.
If you plan to participate in the procurement process of the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to apply for SWaM certification; not DBE certification. To apply for SWaM certification, please click here.
The DBE Certification process has several steps:
- If you have not previously applied online for DBE or SWaM certification, please go to Section A, otherwise go to Section B.
- Complete the DBE Uniform Certification Application Form, and the Personal Networth Statement.
- Get the Application Form (Affidavit of Certification) and the Personal Networth Statement notarized
- Collect copies of the Supporting Documentation on the checklist at the end of the Application form.
- Send the Application forms package plus the supporting documents in to us at the address below.
- We will arrange for an Onsite Visit to your Company
If you need assistance in applying for the DBE certification, please contact our regional offices for appointments with the Business Development Specialists. Click here for office contact information.
New DBE Application (Firms have not previously applied online at the DMBE website for SWaM or DBEcertification):
DBE Application (Firms have previously applied online at the DMBE website for SWaM or DBE certification):
Approved DBE Annual Submission Requirement:
Once you are certified as a DBE, you are required to submit annually the following documents to our office prior to your anniversary date. We will send you an email reminder 60 days prior to your anniversary date. Please keep your email address current with us.
- Virginia Unified Certification Program Yearly Update Form with Affidavit Of Continued Eligibility (PDF) | (Word)
- Personal Financial Networth Statement (fillable PDF)
- Last year's Federal personal and business taxes. Please do not send the State tax returns.
** Please Note you will need Adobe’s Acrobat Reader (.pdf) or Microsoft Word Reader (.doc) in order to view some of the documents on this page. To view these files in another format, contact email@example.com